Getting any type of denture can be life-changing. Partial or complete dentures or dentures that are anchored in your mouth with dental implants near you can all replace lost teeth, improve the appearance of your smile, boost your confidence, and improve your speaking and chewing capabilities. Even though the teeth that makeup dentures are artificial, it is still vital that you clean them regularly and take proper care of them so that they last you as long as possible. In this article, our team at Westend Dental discusses some tips for excellent denture care.
What is the Best Way to Clean Your Dentures?
Just like your natural teeth get plaque and food particles stuck on and between them, so do dentures. If you do not clean your dentures, bacteria and plaque can build upon them, leading to an increased risk of bad breath and gum disease.
Try to clean your dentures at least once a day. If you are able to brush them morning and night, that is even better. Our dentist near you can provide you with a soft-bristled toothbrush and denture cleaning solution so that you can properly clean your dentures without damaging them.
What are the Best Ways to Maintain Your Dentures?
If you properly look after your dentures, they can last you for up to a decade. Here are some things you should do to extend the life of your dentures:
● Remove and rinse your dentures with warm water after ingesting food or beverages. If you have dentures that are supported in your mouth using dental implants in Winnipeg, then you should rinse your mouth out with water after each meal.
● Remember that dentures are fragile and break more easily than natural teeth. Handle them gently, and take your time when cleaning them.
● Some cleaning materials are too harsh for dentures. Don’t use teeth whitening products or abrasive toothpaste on your dentures.
● Do not sleep wearing your dentures; instead, soak them in cool or warm water overnight. Hot water can affect their shape.
● If you use a denture adhesive, follow the instructions and use the correct amount. Clean the adhesive from the dentures each night with a soft-bristled toothbrush, mild soap or denture cleaner, and warm water.
● If your dentures break, call your dentist as soon as possible. Do not try to repair the dentures yourself, as this can cause further damage to your dental restorations.
When to Visit Westend Dental
It is important that you visit our dental clinic in Winnipeg once every six months for regular checkups and cleanings. If you have dentures, this shouldn’t change, and you should visit our dental team twice a year. Additionally, if you have any concerns about your dentures, contact our team. Make an appointment if your dentures:
● Feel uncomfortable
● No longer fit snugly in your mouth
● Make noise when you eat or speak
● Appear worn or broken
As well, you should contact your dentist if you notice:
● Bleeding gums
● Poor breath
● Mouth sores
If you notice any of the above, it could mean that your dentures no longer fit properly or that they are damaged. If this is the case, our team of dedicated dental professionals at Westend Dental can help. Dentures should enhance your quality of life, not hinder it. If you have any questions or concerns about your dentures, please do not hesitate to contact our clinic today.